Tbilisi Medical Academy hosted an international online conference about Planetary Health. Conference was hosted with the initiation of TMA students and the support of Tbilisi Medical Academy.
By studying Planetary Health topics, students improve their communication, collaboration, leadership skills. They become acquainted with interdisciplinary approaches and learn how to integrate medicine and environmental health, in order to provide high-quality care to their patients, as well as become Planetary Health activists and advocates at both local and global levels.
The conference was attended by guest speakers from different countries such as:
• Dr. Nicole de Paula - the founder of the Women Leaders for Planetary Health and co-founder of an interdisciplinary research group on Planetary Health at the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil;
• Ms. Melvine Anyango Otieno - 2019 Planetary health Campus Ambassador turned to PHA next-generation fellow, currently pursuing MSc in Environmental Health at University of Eldoret, Kenya;
• Ms. Andisheh Jahangir - currently working with Relief International, an International Humanitarian NGO, as a health officer in Iran.
• Ms. Mila Plaisant – VI semester student of Hochschule Furtwangen University -Physiotherapy, who has been working with Environmental Physiotherapy Association, Health for Future (Germany);
• Mr. Felix Bittner – Coordinator of the “Health for Future” movement in Germany.
Besides the representatives of Tbilisi Medical Academy, the conference was attended by International and Georgian students.
Participants discussed the clinical correlation between environment and human health, specifically how environmental pollution harms human health.